Espresso Pot Roast
- 5 lb Chuck beef roast
- 3 tbsp Robust EVOO
- 2 tsp Fleur de Sel
- 2 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 Red onion roughly chopped
- 2 cups Carrots roughly chopped
- 3 cups Baby potatoes quartered
- 6 cloves Garlic whole
- 1 Fennel bulb (fronds and core removed) roughly chopped
- 4 cups unsalted beef stock
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 3 tbsp Espresso Dark Balsamic
- 2 cups Red wine
- 3 Sprigs fresh rosemary leaves removed and chopped
- 1 tsp Ground Aleppo Pepper
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 Long Peppers whole
- Preheat oven to 400*F. Heat EVOO in a large cast iron pot over medium-high heat. Season beef with fleur de sel, pepper and smoked paprika.
- Sear roast on all sides for 3-4 minutes per side until roast is browned. Remove roast from pot, add flour to pot and cook for 2 minutes, stirring, then add red wine and Espresso Balsamic to flour mixture, scraping up the bottom of the pot.
- Nestle roast in braising liquid and roast pot covered in the oven for 2 hours, turning roast every 45 minutes. Add vegetables in after 1 hour and continue roasting. Roast is done when meat is tender and falling apart. Remove roast carefully to a plate, remove veg to a platter for serving, discard bay leaves and long peppers.
- Cook sauce in pot for 7-10 minutes until reduced further - taste for seasonings. Strain gravy through a fine mesh strainer, then move meat to veg platter and serve gravy alongside.