We’ve all had chocolate cake before – but red wine and olive oil take this delicious and ultra-moist cake to the next level. Using a mild, creamy olive oil is perfect here as it compliments the bitterness of the chocolate. Olive oil keeps the crumb of the cake soft and fluffy as well so it can easily be made the day before and rest on the counter until company arrives for dinner!
Double Chocolate Olive Oil Cake
- 1 1/2 Cup Flour All Purpose
- 3/4 Cup Coco Dutch Processed
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil Fruity Extra Virgin
- 3/4 Cup White Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 Cup Dark Chocolate Chopped
- 3/4 Cup Red Wine
- 1/4 Cup Yogurt Plain
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Brush a spring-form pan with 1 tbsp EVOO, line bottom of pan with a circle of parchment paper, then brush with EVOO and 1 tbsp of cocoa powder, shaking out excess from pan. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.In a medium bowl, microwave chocolate in a microwave for 15 seconds, stir, then repeat until chocolate is melted and smooth. When chocolate has cool to room temperature, stir in stir in wine, yogurt and balsamic. In another bowl with a hand mixer, beat egg and sugar for 2-3 minutes, then slowly beat in EVOO, beating until thickened and fluffy. Stir in melted chocolate mixture into egg mixture then add dry ingredients and stir just until combined.Pour batter into spring-form pan and bake in centre of oven for 35-40 minutes, or until centre isn’t jiggly and cake tester comes out clean. Cool on baking rack in pan for a few minutes before removing from pan. Frost with Chocolate Balsamic Buttercream or Chocolate Ganache.