Much as there is no reason to mess with a classic, this Caprese provides a twist as well as temperature and texture changes which allows this Caprese to work year-round – especially handy in the depths of winter with not a decent tomato in sight!
- 1 14oz can Whole tomatoes or 3-5 Roma tomatoes
- 4 cups Arugula
- 1 cup Bocconcini
- ½ Onion
- 3 cloves Garlic
- ¾ cup Tuscan Herb Olive Oil divided
- ¼ cup Traditional Dark Balsamic divided
- Himalayan Pink Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Drain canned tomatoes through a fine mesh strainer. In a saucepan with 1 tbsp Tuscan Herb Olive Oil, heat the tomatoes on the stove with the garlic and onion for about 30 min. stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and place in a blender along with ½ a cup of the Tuscan Herb EVOO and 1 tbsp Traditional Dark Balsamic and blend until smooth and check for seasonings.
- On a serving platter or individual plates, spread the tomato sauce for a base then build arugula salad around the sauce. Garnish with fresh basil and Bocconcini and drizzle with remaining Tuscan Herb Olive Oil and Traditional Aged Balsamic drizzled over top. Sprinkle with a bit of flaky fleur de sel and cracked pepper.