Chocolate Red Wine Cake
We’ve all had chocolate cake before - but red wine and balsamic vinegar take things to a new level! A perfect cake for a girls night with more Merlot to match!
- 1 ½ cups Flour
- ¾ cup Cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- ¼ tsp Fleur de Sel
- ¼ cup Fruity EVOO
- ¾ cup White sugar
- 1 Large egg
- ⅓ cup Finely chopped dark chocolate
- ¾ cup Fruity red wine
- ¼ cup Plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp Cherry Dark Balsamic Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Brush a spring-form pan with 1 tbsp EVOO, line bottom of pan with a circle of parchment paper, then brush with EVOO and 1 tbsp of cocoa powder, shaking out excess from pan. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, microwave chocolate in a microwave for 15 seconds, stir, then repeat until chocolate is melted and smooth. When chocolate has cool to room temperature, stir in stir in wine, yogurt and balsamic. In another bowl with a hand mixer, beat egg and sugar for 2-3 minutes, then slowly beat in EVOO, beating until thickened and fluffy. Stir in melted chocolate mixture into egg mixture then add dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Pour batter into spring-form pan and bake in centre of oven for 35-40 minutes, or until centre isn't jiggly and cake tester comes out clean. Cool on baking rack in pan for a few minutes before removing from pan. Frost with Chocolate Balsamic Buttercream or Chocolate Ganache.