Cranberry Peppermint Shortbread
Christmas treats and all the memories that come with them are why we bake these cookies! Perfect for year round tea time, these lemony and tart cookies are perfect for all occasions! Best of all, double to batch and keep a roll frozen for last minute surprise guests!
- ½ cup Icing sugar
- ½ cup Unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup Eureka Lemon Olive Oil
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Fleur de Sel
- 1 zest Lemon
- ⅓ cup Dried cranberries chopped
- ¼ cup Peppermint mints or candy canes crushed
- Beat together butter until fluffy with a hand mixer, for about 3-4 minutes. Mix in lemon zest then beat in olive oil and icing sugar alternatively, 1/3 at a time ending with the icing sugar. Slowly mix in flour and fleur de sel, then stir in peppermint and cranberries until just mixed.
- Gather dough into a ball and pat together. Cut dough in 3, then shape into square shapes as best you can, then wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to firm dough.
- Preheat oven to 375*F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place chilled dough on parchment paper lined sheet. Cut dough in squares 1/2" thick, then again diagonally making a triangle. Repeat with remaining dough. Place cookies 1"? apart on prepared baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes, until dough is lightly golden and firm in the centre. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 7-8 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
These cookies are yummy as is, but a drizzle of melted white or dark chocolate over top wouldn't be a bad thing! Just saying... 🙂