Balsamic Caramel Popcorn Balls
Homemade caramel corn - we might like this one just a bit too much! Somehow, there's always a bowl or two around - you know, for emergencies and such... Fun for kids and grownups alike!
- 125 grams Popcorn kernels
- 3 tbsp Butter Olive Oil
- ¾ cup Granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp Orange Blossom Honey
- 2 tbsp Maple Dark Balsamic
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- Fleur de Sel
- Heat EVOO in cast iron pot over medium high heat. Add a couple kernels, cover and wait till they have popped, 3-5 minutes. Add remaining kernels, cover and remove from heat for 30 second. Return to heat and crack lid to allow steam out. When rapidly popping, shake pot with lid partially on until 5-7 seconds between pops then pour into large lightly oiled bowl.
- Add olive oil, sugar, honey and balsamic vinegar to deep non-stick saucepan and stir to dissolve sugar. Bring to a low boil over medium heat and cook, without stirring, for 5-7 min until caramel darkens to an amber color. Add baking soda (it will foam up!) and stir in olive oil. Pour over popcorn and stir quickly to cover all kernels. Sprinkle with Fleur de Sel if using.
- Run your hands under cold water and with cold hands, scoop popcorn into balls of your desired size and press together around a popsicle stick - will be quite warm and sticky, so work quickly. Wrap each ball in plastic wrap once it has been formed and is holding it's shape around the popsicle stick. Repeat with remaining caramel popcorn. Enjoy the yummy, slightly sticky goodness - lasts about 1 day!
Try spicing up this popcorn ball by subbing in Baklouti Green Chili Fused Olive Oil for some of the EVOO! This popcorn also works just as is – we recommend spreading it out on an oil parchment paper lined baking sheet and baking it for 15-20 min at 325*F to set individual pieces of caramel corn.